South Downs Way 100

Monday 23 February 2009

The Saturday Training Ride...

Circuit training after effects ruined most of the rest of last week for me, I was OK, except for stairs and getting up, so Pilate's was fun, after 4 flights of stairs.

Thursday night I bailed out of the planned ride as my legs were still smarting, and I was saving myself for the weekend.

So the training ride, how did that go? Well James and family arrived shortly before midnight on Friday, so obviously a couple of glasses of wine and a catchup, and it was far too late all too quickly. Still the children woke us up at 6am so that was fine.

Ollie and Roger arrived at the allotted time after Ollie had used a can of GT85 getting his front mech moving the night before. Off we set only a few scant minutes behind schedule, blue skies sunshine and more GPS navigation equipment than a military operation.

The plan was 37miles 4500ft climbing, taking in Devils Dyke, Lewes, Rottingdean, Stanmer Park and back to Brighton.

So we did Devils Dyke, then down my 'cheeky descent' off the downs near new timber, well last time it was fun, it would appear the winter has been unkind to that trail, still only the navigator went over the bars so everyone was happy.

and on along SDW to black cap, nice cruise down to Offham and into Lewes, however not at all on schedule, 1 puncture, 1 seized front mech, 1 dodgy knee all factors I guess.

At this point Roger disappears to meet his SO for lunch and the 4 become 3. I offer to cut the route short and am persuaded to keep cutting until we go pretty much straight home, although we still have to get over the Ditchling Road, from there however it is downhill all the way to the pub. not all bad. 27 miles, 3150ft climbing, not a bad ride, but still light compared to St Bees to Ambleside at 37 miles and nearly 6000ft of climbing.

That'll do for now or I'll never make it to work tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment