South Downs Way 100

Sunday 22 April 2012

Not enough training


Found a great route on GPSies.com last weekend, downloaded it to the Garmin. 32miles starting a few miles up the road ideal. Had all Sunday free so off I went. I used to do 30miles downs rides quite often. I also decided to use the hardtail for the day, as I’m considering using it in July so ought to see how it is for a longer ride. I love the direct power transfer the feeling of all your effort going into turning the wheels. Little bit of a surprise when you forget you haven’t got the usual 5 inches of shock absorption under your behind. Its an interesting route, going mainly over trails I’ve done before but put together differently to how I would plan a route, seeming to go into and back out again of every available valley. Great training but I was all in by the time I crawled home, 36miles and 4000ft of ascending and 5 hours. That pace in July will barely fit into the available daylight hours, so I’ve not only got to triple the distance but I’ve somehow got to up the pace too. As for the hardtail, really pleased with it most of the time; although I did get a puncture on the rear and the forks are too long really so it’s difficult to keep the front end down on steep climbs. I also missed the forgiving nature of full suss later in the ride when tired and line choice becomes a bit lazy.

Jimdub and raa are coming out for some training miles in a couple of weeks, so I guess it is time to MTFU.
I started a pilates class on Tuesday too, I found this really helpful in my training before the C2C some I’m hoping that again it will help this time, but with working away from home a couple of days most weeks it is going to be difficult to get the miles in.

The new bike should be arriving in the next few weeks, hopefully I’ll have it by May bank holiday weekend, but that depends on Orange’s schedule not mine L.

Got out on the road bike, 28miles today, nice weather at the time, pub lunch managed to stay off the beer too. Roped in some logistical support for July today, so its starting to take shape.

Driving to Peterborough tonight, hopefully it wont rain all the way, although it's looking like there's an even chance.

1 comment: