South Downs Way 100

Monday 14 May 2012

Weekend Training Ride

Zombied.  Thats me. Seriously concerned about my fitness level.  Saturday 18 mile, Sunday 27.  OK, so it had been a pretty wet drought. The trails were extremely slippy and where there was mud, there WAS mud. This got the average speed right down to about -6 mph, which given the amount of daylight we will have, will not do. I could come out with various excuses for holding everyone up, like the mud, getting back on saddle the next day etc etc, but it wont wash. I need to seriously ramp up the miles on real off road, and get more time on the exercise bike when I can't.

Now, although I have ridden SDW before, it was a few years ago, and over two days. Fitness and fatness, has changed. As said before, I lack the type of hills required for training, where I live in South Notts. yes there are inclines, but not the mile long, slow, grass sucking slogs that are further south.

On a plus note, had a great time on the singletrack through the woods, with a bit of confidence boosting log jumping-ish. Getting to train my head into the look where you want to go, and not at that muddy ditch/bunch of nettles type of activity. Pnik had a great time on his new bike (pictured, in part, above). Impressed that the bottom gear in middle ring, seemed even lower that my lowest of the low. Cheat!

Us at Ditchling beacon...


No comments:

Post a Comment