South Downs Way 100

Monday 9 July 2012

Three updates in one...

Firstly, well done to Nik getting the 50 miler...

Two weeks ago, I attendeed a skills course up at sherwood pines run by Jonathan...http://www.themountainbikerockschool.co.uk/
Had a whole day learning how to stay on bike, brake properly and turn corners. Sounds fundamental, but after years of riding, thought it a good idea to see how to do stuff properly. My legs ached alot, so I guess it was new stuff. Need to practice my new skills now.....just need to do a decent length bike ride.....ahhhh.

One week ago. Set out early sunday morning to get a 40 miler in. Only had four hours to fit in, so needed to go for it. Added extra loops in, concentrating on the hills. Got to 42, in four and a half. 3000 feet of climbing. Felt ok afterwards too. Taking extra nutrition at 20 miles is, I think the key.

Yesterday, another early start, this time aiming for 50 miles. Was going to miss out any flat fun bits, and literally loop round the hills. OK?  No. I completely forgot about the 'Months rain a day' we had on Friday. Trails were completely unrideable. The mud at several points jammed up the whole bike. Along with the old 'front wheel dissappearing in a hole trick' and going shoulder first into the ground, I followed Mr Glover's advice, and kept off the moors and stuck to the roads.


A pathetic 24 miles. Dropped off home again, hosed off bike & ate some food. Will get some sort of ride in the week if possible, but i think thats it for biggies, as it takes me days to recover.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment