South Downs Way 100

Wednesday 8 April 2009

Crikey not long now...


So I've been trying to keep my average up, although March seems to have been overrun with all sorts of reasons not to. I managed nearly 30 miles and 3000+ft on Sunday along the downs to Alfriston and rounded off with a nice lunch in the Singing Kettle, sounds like something out of Enid Blyton. Anyway, Tuesday night saw a turbo training session, see right me looking at my best, and tonight my more gentle Pilates class.

Tomorrow should see me out with BrightonMTB assuming I put my bike together again in time, my old forks are back on while the new(er) ones are off to tftuned for a service and my seatpost donated its clamp to a guy in Alfriston to allow him to sit down to Eastbourne, a luxury he'd not enjoyed since passing Brighton several hours earlier.

I've been tinkering with the route for months now, but I'm bored now so here are the figures:

Day 1 St Bees - Ambleside 38.5miles  6174ft
Day 2 Ambleside - Kirkby Stephen 36.1miles  5648ft
Day 3 Kirkby Stephen - Grinton 26.5miles  3572ft
Day 4 Grinton - Osmotherly 32.2miles  820ft
Day 5 Osmotherly - Glaisdale   33.2miles  4539ft
Day 6 Glaisdale - Robin Hoods Bay 24.9miles  2391ft


That's 191 miles and 23144ft of climbing (and presumably the same down). Now what the vital statistics work out as at the end who knows, the bad weather route for day 1 for example is over 40 miles, but a lot less climbing and all on tarmac. I plan to show the route on Google Maps just as soon as I can make sense of how to embed it in the html.

Oh and tubeless, should I or shouldn't I, I can't decide?


1 comment:

  1. Again, appreciate the planning effort. That prog on BBC4 showing those hills, got me worried!

    ReplyDelete