South Downs Way 100

Friday 6 March 2009

One man down, but the itinery is sorted.


Well i managed to get on the trainer a couple of times this week, and spent a lot of today on the phone, talking to people about accommodation. Unfortunately Ollie dropped out of our little adventure earlier this week, for various reasons including a dodgy knee! 

I've now got all of our overnight stops booked, Youth Hostels all but 1, so we get a bit of luxury in a pub in Osmotherly on the 4th night out. I've got half way through altering the bookings already made now we are fewer. It looks like the refund paperwork is going to be fun. Apparently everything can be done online and on the phone, except refunds they have to be done by post. Is this the dark ages or just a cynical discouragement technique?

I've spoken to the rest of the team this week, they are all still keen, although James and Paul are slightly concerned about the training levels they are managing to do. Paul was in Italy for work earlier this week, poor thing. He's still trying to decide whether or not to take the plunge on a new bike for the trip. Roger is training like its going out of fashion, actually I'm beginning to think he thinks we're going from San Francisco to New York, not St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay! 

As jimdub pointed out it was my 40th earlier this week, and amongst other things I got a great new comfy chair, this may make training more difficult, I may have to ration it until we finish. I also got another piece of the jigsaw in the form of OL4, the second OS map of the route covering most of day 1, and a massive memory card for my phone to store music for keeping me going on the turbo trainer.

Something jimdub didn't mention however is the HE IS 40 TOMORROW TOO!!!! So I hope he has a great day and that the family give him a break from all the hard work he normally gets up to at the weekend when he should be training. I suppose he could have a beer or 2 tomorrow night, as long as he's out again on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment